Sunday 9 June 2013

Savoury Bakes



My pop up bakery is going really good but there are a few people who pull their face at us when passing the stall! Honestly! As if some people don't like cake! As if - really, I mean who doesn't love cake? Admittedly we set up the stall really early and okay not everyone wants cake at the crack of dawn but hey that's what the chocolate palmiers are for!!

So I've been thinking, since we're calling ourselves a 'pop up bakery' and not a cake stall we could maybe do some savoury bakes and bread. To that end I've been doing lots of Pinterest research of what to bake. It has to cover all the bases -  taste good, look good, be easy to package and make some profit at an affordable price. I wont be able to do big artisan loaves because I just wont be able to charge enough to make it worthwhile. If you have any ideas for me please comment either on the blog or facebook. I could do with some suggestions - what would you like to buy at a stall on a weekend to take home for lunch or tea?

I've been really poorly all week and not done any baking (or much of anything else except sleep .. a lot) I haven't even made tea all week - practically unheard of!  so tonight was the first time I've done anything in the kitchen more than making a hot Vimto (that's what I crave when I'm poorly!) and having existed on oven meals all week the family favourite was requested - enchiladas.

It occurred to me since there are always tortillas left over that i could try making  the savoury 'cupcakes' that are all over pinterest and food blogs at the moment. So, inspired by emily and monica I made two different kinds of chilli cupcake/muffin type thingys so I could judge which was the best and whether they would be good for the stall.  Here's the how to - have a go they were both dead tasty!
Ready to eat

First make your chilli however you like it reserving half a cup of it after the meat is browned and spices cooked through slightly but before you add wet ingredients 

dry turkey chilli

Finish making the chilli and leave it to get even yummier whilst you line an oiled muffin tin with cut out tortillas 


Start making the 'muffins' by putting dry ingredients into a bowl .. oh and put the oven on at 200 to preheat - don't forget like I did.

Muffin Ingredients

chilli muffin dry ingredients
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of red pepper flakes 
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup grated  cheese
  • 1/3 cup of the reserved dry chilli


Mix well and then add egg and milk - I 'rinsed' my chilli bean and chopped tomato tins with the milk first coz that's the way I roll.



 Mix all together and leave to stand for 10 mins - it looks gross at this point - have faith!


 Now fill the tortilla cups with your chilli and top with some cheese and then spoon the muffin mixture into the oiled tin, top with a little blob of chilli and some cheese and bake for 20 - 25 mins at 200
 leave to cool for .. well as long as you can resist so .. not very long then!



 Enjoy!

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment